From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing my kernel
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 00:42:31
1 Grant wrote:
2 > I've been puzzling a bit lately over the best way to manage my kernel.
3 > I've always tried to keep it as minimal as possible, and I only
4 > enable things as I need them. I also don't build modules from the
5 > kernel at all.
6 >
7 > Is there a better way to go? I'm starting to think it might be better
8 > to build every single module and let the system load them as it needs
9
10 A friend of mine does this for his production servers:
11
12 1/ builds the known needed things into the kernel
13 2/ disables loadable modules completely
14
15 This is probably not suitable for some use cases...(new raid card
16 ...ooops... redo kernel), but if you are deploying to known hardware it
17 is ok.
18
19 Cheers
20