From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] timeouts with dhcpcd 5.1
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:29:16
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 11 September 2009, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >
5 > > However, when I put the -d, it didn't tell me anything except that
6 > > dhcpcd sent several discover packets and then said timeout, so my
7 > > original question still remains -- why a timeout with 5.1 with the same
8 > > dhcpcd.conf and no timeout with 4.0.13.
9 >
10 > It may be a bug. The trick is how do you establish who the bug belongs to?
11 > dhcpcd-5.1 or your router's firmware?
12 >
13 > I recall similar incident with my router and an older dhcpcd version (can look
14 > through the M/L for a URL if you need me to) whereby the MAC address sent by
15 > dhcpcd was not being picked up by the router. The router was looking for
16 > that info in the ID field or some such. Having had static IP addresses for
17 > my LAN machines meant that my PC would not be given the reserved IP address
18 > and then dhcpcd would eventually time out. My router's firmware was not
19 > compliant with the respective RFC that dhcpcd was upgraded to.
20 >
21 > The fix I came up with was router specific, therefore I do not have a useful
22 > suggestion for your circumstances I'm afraid - other than:
23 >
24 > Try static IP address for your machine (use ifconfig to set this up and route
25 > to set up the gw).
26 >
27 > Try using a different dhcp client to see if the problem persists.
28 >
29 > Try updating your router's firmware just in case.
30 >
31 > File a bug for dhcpcd-5.1 with your findings.
32 >
33 > PS. Other than testing is there a reason why you don't use a stable dhcpcd
34 > version?
35 > --
36 > Regards,
37 > Mick
38
39 I am using unstable generally, so it just came in the update. I have no
40 router, this is FIOS from Verizon.
44 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
45 How do
46 you spend it?
47
48 John Covici