From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem install Gentoo on New Laptop
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 01:29:01
1 Colleen Beamer wrote:
2
3 > Following all the steps in the Handbook, I got no error messages. When
4 > I get to the part where I install the bootloader, it installs okay. I
5 > have 4 partitions sda1 is boot, sda2 is swap sda3 is / and sda4 is home.
6 > My /boot/grub/device.map file shows as: (hd0) /dev/sda. When I boot to
7 > the hard drive, the boot process gets to the point where it says:
8 > Determining root device ...
9 >
10 > Then it says:
11 > /dev/sda3 is not a valid root device
14 Maybe post your grub.conf so we can see if there is a gotcha there
15 somewhere, but I'd guess that your kernel has not got support for your
16 SATA chipset. What does 'lscpi' or 'scanpci' say from the livecd?
17
18 Cheers
19
20 Mark