From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Router for ssh tunnel/SOCKS proxy
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 20:30:40
1 On Friday 05 January 2007 17:00, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2 > On Friday 5 January 2007 16:53, Mick wrote:
3 > > > More about that here:
4 > > >
5 > > > "Why TCP over TCP is a Bad Idea"
6 > > > http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html
7 > >
8 > > Hmm, that explains why running VCN through ssh gets a bit ropy at
9 > > times?
10 >
11 > Do you mean VNC?
12
13 Yes, if only I could type properly! ;-)
14
15 > > So, is port forwarding for browsing and emails through ssh a
16 > > bad idea then?
17 >
18 > No, because with ssh port forwarding you just forward the data coming
19 > from/going to the application (eg, mailreader) without stacking
20 > additional protocols (as in, for example, ppp or ip over ssh), for which
21 > you need some way of forwarding IP-or-lower-level data between
22 > interfaces (for example, using tun/tap).
23 > Some programs (like openvpn) overcome the issue by using tcp-over-udp by
24 > default.
25
26 OK. I don't think I need to run a full VPN. I just want to securely connect
27 to my router at home while I am out & about using public wifi hot spots and
28 thereby to be able to connect to the internet using my ISP for browsing &
29 email. The only ports I should need to forward via ssh to the router/server
30 are those serving http/https for browsing and 110/995/143/25/587 for email.
31
32 If the above assumptions are correct then what sort of a hardware router would
33 I need? (Either a straight off the shelf product, or one with modified
34 firmware).
35
36 Friends and colleagues often ask me how to achieve this, but all I
37 can think is running a PC on the LAN as a server for this purpose - isn't this
38 effectively a SOCKS5 server or am I getting mixed up here?
39
40 No idea how to achieve the same functionality using the embedded OS of a
41 hardware router.
42
43 Thank you for your help.
44 --