From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Movie editing softeware
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 22:25:55
1 On Thu, 23 Dec 2021 08:57:07 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
2
3 > >> Now emerging! I shall have to play with it, but it looks just what
4 > >> the doctor ordered. I *believe* a ts contains an mpeg2 ... let's
5 > >> hope!
6 > >
7 > > AFAIR recall a .ts (Transport Stream) file is intended for broadcast
8 > > and so contains more redundant information to allow for unreliable
9 > > transmission - MythTV records .ts files. Converting for MPEG without
10 > > reencoding gives the same video but in a smaller file.
11 > >
12 > Quite likely. But if I want to replay it on the same tv (and don't want
13 > to spend hours recoding), it seems like the best solution - that works
14 > - is to leave it as it is.
15
16 I've found most TVs I've tried accept a decent variety of formats. If you
17 are loading a .ts and saving a .m4 without reencoding, you are only
18 changing the container, which is really fast. Along the way, you may drop
19 some of the redundant, duplicated data that is only needed for OTA
20 transmission.
21
22 > Video is enough of a maze of twisty little passages as it is, i don't
23 > want to get lost again ... :-)
24
25 Indeed it is, but if it is not necessary to save as a .ts, you open up
26 more possibilities of finding software that fits your needs and is easy to
27 use.
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 Be regular. Eat cron flakes.