From: Wes Gray <smiths@×××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Extra IDE card, drives out of order
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:54:10
1 I added an extra IDE controller card so I could get a 5th drive. It's a
2 Silicon Image chipset (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIIMAGE). When I boot into the kernel
3 with the module included the kernel sees the IDE channels on the new card as
4 the first ones and the existing IDE channels on my motherboard as the
5 additional ones. So to the new kernel it sees:
6
7 /dev/hda (newly added drive)
8 /dev/hdb (no drive)
9 /dev/hdc (no drive)
10 /dev/hdd (no drive)
11 /dev/hde (my old /dev/hda)
12 /dev/hdf (my old /dev/hdb)
13 /dev/hdg (my old /dev/hdc)
14 /dev/hdh (my old /dev/hdd)
15
16 The kernel tries to boot off the first drive on the new controller card
17 instead of my boot drive, which is odd because the kernel that is running is
18 read off of my old /dev/hda which the new kernel sees as /dev/hde. So the
19 BIOS and Grub see them in the correct order. Hope that makes sense. Perhaps
20 I could fix the problem by moving all of my drives to the new IDE card, not
21 sure and that's not my preferred solution. My kernel is vanilla 2.6.15.1.
22
23 Thanks for any help.
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list