From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: has anyone tried KDE5?
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2014 16:59:43
1 Am 05.10.2014 um 18:27 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On 05/10/2014 17:50, Michael Palimaka wrote:
3 >> On 10/06/2014 02:35 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> On 10/5/2014 11:01 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>> I'd be interested to know what KDE negatives you've
6 >>>> experienced/heard in the past though.
7 >>> Bloat, buggy/unstable ever since the move from KDE3 to KDE4 (and never
8 >>> really gotten any better over time), etc...
9 >>>
10 >>> But of course there are always haters too... I'm sure it isn't as bad as
11 >>> the loudest complainers make it sound...
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >> There were definitely issues in KDE 4 early days but there have been
15 >> substantial improvements since then. Regarding bloat/performance, this
16 >> biggest complaints seem to be about nepomuk/baloo. We provide the
17 >> semantic-desktop USE flag to provide the option of disabling this
18 >> feature wherever it's possible.
19 >
20 > People do complain about nepomuk/baloo, but in my opinion it's mostly
21 > unwarranted. The first indexing action did always take a long time (and
22 > so does mlocate) but once that's done, I found it didn't really impact
23 > the system all that much.
24 >
25 > My real beef is with akonadi and kdepim. I could never get the damn
26 > thing to actually work or to tell me what it was doing in a manner I
27 > could understand. The last straw was around KDE-4.4 when the importer
28 > managed to destroy my entire mail store and leave me with nothing, so I
29 > switched to claws and several years later switched again to Thunderbird.
30
31 or even better: akonadi eating 10 years and 100 000+ archived emails.
32 But the gains were there - search became slower, if it worked at all and
33 all filters broke - several times.
36 > I keep reading reports that kdepim is nowadays so much better and
37 > stable, but to be frank I do not trust it, and likely never will. I also
38 > understand this is not entirely logical, but it's just the way it is.
39
40 as long as akonadi with its idiotic database backend is around, it will
41 never be trustworthy.
42 >
43 > The rest of KDE I find to be very usable and rather pleasant to use. My
44 > sole remaining gripe is lack of stored sessions in dolphin :-)
47 My favorite fuckups which are still around:
48 tumblr can make konqueror hang at 100% cpu for minutes, because of some
49 javascript - firefox and chromium are fine and dlisted in one tab is
50 fine, but open one of their articles in a new tab and konqueror just
51 vanishes. Not even the crash dialog pops up.