From: CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Another Install Issue
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 23:04:33
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 Well, thanks to the help I got from the list, I finally have Gentoo
4 installed on my new desktop and booting to a command prompt.
5
6 However, now I have a networking issue.
7
8 In past, when I booted to the install CD and my ethernet connection was
9 not active, I typed net-setup eth0 and was able to set it up. This
10 time, when I booted to the install CD and typed net-setup eth0, the
11 network card was not recognized. I googled and found a post where
12 someone said that they had to 'modprobe -r broadcom' and 'modprobe -r
13 tg3' and then 'modprobe broadcom' and 'modprobe tg3' and then, run
14 net-setup. I did this and then ifconfig returned my eth0 connection.
15
16 Of course, later you have to do the cp -L /etc/resolv.conf
17 /mnt/gentoo/etc/ .... which I did and dhcpcd has been added to my
18 default runlevel.
19
20 However, when I boot, eth0 does not start. I can start it manually by
21 doing 'modprobe -r broadcom' and 'modprobe -r tg3' and then 'modprobe
22 broadcom' and 'modprobe tg3'
23
24 However, I would like to have my network started automatically.
25
26 I do have config_eth0="dhcp" in my /etc/conf.d/net file
27
28 Any suggestions?
29
30 Colleen