From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Reinstall
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 17:28:37
1 Be careful about the binpackages if you add any instruction set optimizations to your make.conf. Trying to install incompatible binaries will wreck your whole day.
2
3 Otherwise, I usually just save the world file and any USE flags that I remember setting on purpose. Save copies of the keywords and whatnot, but it's also a good opportunity to clean out the cruft that always slips in over time.
4
5 Distfiles can be good too so you don't have to download everything again.
6
7 If you're moving everything to a new computer, you can also just try a straight copy of everything... As long as your instruction sets are compatible it goes pretty quickly. I've got an install that's on its third set of hardware now...
8
9 LMP
10
11 -----Original Message-----
12 From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
13 Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2022 9:24 AM
14 To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
15 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reinstall
16
17 Good day!
18
19 First of all, sorry for the late reply. I had to attend to a course a bit far away from home and it was pretty intense.
20
21 Now, back home, I'll try the suggestions, thanks!
22
23 Just for the sake of preventing a future failure, besides personal files (minimum and obvious) the "world" file and the binary packages, built along with the package installation, what else should I backup so that I would be able to quickly restore the same full working Gentoo in a new hardware without having to work from stage3 up? The portage tree is one of those items, for sure. But what else?
24
25 Thank you all and a good sunday.
26 Francisco