From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x11-base/xorg-x11
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 22:31:56
1 On Tuesday 29 December 2009 00:21:55 Gmail wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > My laptop runs KDE4 fine without x11-base/xorg-x11 installed. Should we
4 > install x11-base/xorg-x11 if desktop environments such as KDE4, GNOME,
5 > or XFCE4 are used?
6 >
7 > Happy New Year
8 > Hung
11 Not necessarily.
12
13 xorg-x11 is a meta package that DEPENDS on other things needed for an X
14 session. You obviously have everything you need for an X session, how
15 otherwise would you be able to run KDE4? (assuming you are not exporting X).
16
17 Normally it is advisable to install xorg-x11 so as to take advantage of
18 updated DEPENDs etc etc. But it's not a must, it's actually a question only
19 you can answer for you.
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com