From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help with IPv6, please
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2019 10:09:01
1 On Thursday, 5 December 2019 21:17:59 GMT Ralph Seichter wrote:
2 > * Peter Humphrey:
3 > > $ ping6 vdsl
4 > > ping: vdsl: No address associated with hostname
5 >
6 > The outcome of ping depends on /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts, and even
7 > on the OS of the IPv6 nodes involved. Apple devices will be available as
8 > somename.local, with "somename" being what the user configured as the
9 > device's name in Preferences->Sharing. I can for example ping my iPhone
10 > via "ping6 silver.local".
11
12 OK, got that.
13
14 > > If I add the LAN address of the Bipac to /etc/hosts, ping finds it
15 > > okay, but what if the address changes if the Bipac reboots?
16 >
17 > Your Bipac will have multiple "LAN addresses", or rather addresses that
18 > are bound to the LAN-facing network interface. In your example, you were
19 > pinging the global scope address 2a02:x which may change over time,
20 > unless your provider assigns static networks (mine does not). However,
21 > the router should also have at least one link-local address and one
22 > unique local address (ULA):
23
24 My IPv6 address is indeed static.
25
26 > Global scope: 2a02:8010:x (may change or may not)
27 > Link local: fe80:y (may change with SLAAC privacy extensions)
28 > ULA: fd67:z (should be fixed)
29 >
30 > With my router, the ULA was set up once when I first picked a random ULA
31 > prefix, and has remained immutable since then.
32
33 I can't see any fd67... Addresses here. The only IPv6 details my router shows
34 are the LAN and WAN addresses, and 'ip -6 route show' on this host, although
35 it lists six addresses bound to eth0, doesn't mention fd67.
36
37 Do I need to fix a ULA (on each host?), and how would I choose and apply it?
38 My router seems to be a bit basic in the IPv6 department.
39
40 > > I see my mobile phone has acquired an IPv6 address starting with
41 > > fe80::40be... and it doesn't look like its MAC address.
42 >
43 > That's not actually a bad thing. I mentioned SLAAC privacy extensions
44 > (RFC 4941) before; [1] offers some explanations.
45 >
46 > [1]
47 > https://www.internetsociety.org/resources/deploy360/2014/privacy-extensions
48 > -for-ipv6-slaac/