From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When did bzImage move?
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 03:02:23
1 On Sonntag 01 Februar 2009, Dale wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Sonntag 01 Februar 2009, Dale wrote:
4 > >> Hi,
5 > >>
6 > >> I just rebuilt a newer kernel and noticed something. It seems bzImage
7 > >> has moved from arch/i386/boot/bzImage to arch/x86/boot/bzImage. When
8 > >> did this happen? Is x86 the same as i386?
9 > >
10 > > yes. They merged the '386' and the amd64/x86_64 architecture into x86.
11 > >
12 > > And it happend a couple of kernel versions ago.
13 >
14 > OK. At least I ain't going crazy. Whew, that was close.
15 >
16 > >> I'm just wanting to make sure I am not going to blow up something when I
17 > >> boot that thing.
18 > >
19 > > why do you care anyway? Just install debianutils and use make install.
20 >
21 > I like to copy mine manually. I dunno, I just do. I'm weird that way.
22 > I also have a unique way of naming my kernels so I can keep up with
23 > which is which.
24
25 well, you can always put the name in the config - and let make install do the
26 copy. That way you get a nice vmlinuz symlink to the latest kernel and
27 vmlinuz.old to the older one - and you never have to touch grub.conf again.