From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Best video player
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 01:27:07
1 On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:50:49 -0800
2 darren kirby wrote:
3
4 > quoth the Hemmann, Volker Armin:
5 > > On Wednesday 16 November 2005 00:02, Nick Rout wrote:
6 > > > I am not sure that you are at all correct. With mplayer I can resize a
7 > > > window with my mouse and the aspect is retained (ie i drag the window
8 > > > wider and it also gets taller). There are certainly no restrictions like
9 > > > 100/200% - any size seems to work.
10 > > >
11 > > > And aspect seems to work well when resizing to fullscreen too. If it is
12 > > > in some form of letterbox (eg 16:9) you get black lines above and below,
13 > > > just as expected.
14 > > >
15 > > > Some media formats (avi?) have a place in the header to specify aspect
16 > > > ratio, whereas others seem to leave it to the player to guess from the
17 > > > frame size. If the header doesn't specifiy then the player can get
18 > > > confused, but mplayer has the -aspect switch which seems to fix this on
19 > > > the rare occasion that it is an issue. And it is not well hidden,
20 > > > searching the man page for "aspect" turns it up.
21 > > >
22 > > > I see that there is also a switch called "-nokeepaspect":
23 > > >
24 > > > -nokeepaspect
25 > > > Do not keep window aspect ratio when resizing windows. Only works with
26 > > > the x11, xv, xmga, xvidix, directx video output drivers. Furthermore
27 > > > under X11 your window manager has to honor window aspect hints.
28 > > >
29 > > > Maybe this is turned on in your machine?
30 > > >
31 > > > Check /etc/mplayer.conf (system wide) and ~/.mplayer/*
32 > >
33 > > I do not have this options in any config, which are both the defaults one,
34 > > but when I resize the (g)mplayer window with the mouse, the aspect ratio is
35 > > totally ignored. Which is pretty annoying.
36 >
37 > I have the exact same behavior here. All the options seem to imply that
38 > keeping the aspect ratio is the default, but it just isn't working like that.
39 > All the options in the man page involving 'aspect' describe how to change
40 > this default behavior (which isn't happening...) and logically negating them
41 > in mplayer.conf doesn't appear to work in the few attempts I've made.
42 >
43 > I'm using kde, perhaps it is interference by the WM at work here...
44
45 Yes i will try it in kde tonight. However I suspect its more likely a
46 video driver issue. see below.
49 > To tell the truth though, this doesn't really bother me too much since I
50 > usually only use 'Double' or fullscreen size. It is odd though.
51
52 What output driver are you using?
53
54 I am using xv
55
56 Looking at the output of mplayer running from the command line should
57 tell you.
58
59 Also mplayer -vo help will give you a list of those available.
60 --
61 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list