From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and initramfs
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:11:08
1 On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:40:32 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 > >> update LVM2
4 > >> kernel remains the same
5 > >> reboot
6 > >> initramfs finds all PVS and activates VG
7 > >> main system init
8 > >> /etc/init.d/lvm2 start
9 > >> error can't read from USB PVS
10 > >> login to system with missing PVS
11 > >> /etc/init.d/lvm2 restart
12 > >> all PVS listed
13 > >> reboot several times to verify it wasn't just a stuck service,
14 > >> exactly the same
15 > >> now ok but restarting a boot service manually required (!)
16 >
17 > > I updated the initramfs and rebooted and all problems went away
18
19 This sounds like a bug in LVM. If it was down to a version clash, why did
20 a restart find the PVs?
21
22 > And this is *precisely* what scares me about this.
23 >
24 > This simply should not be, period. Support for separate /usr without
25 > initramfs simply SHOULD NOT be dropped unless/until things like this
26 > (updating lvm) can *never* cause a system to fail to boot like this.
27
28 This is irrelevant to separate /usr. an initramfs is required if / is on
29 a VM, whether or not /usr is on the same LV.
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 Top Oxymorons Number 23: Sweet sorrow