From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT, but short
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 11:25:52
1 On Sunday 24 December 2006 23:04, "Mike Myers" <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] OT, but short':
3 > On 12/23/06, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Is anyone out there using Residential SBC/Yahoo DSL with dynamic DNS?
5 > > I want to know if the ISP blocks incoming requests to your servers if
6 > > you're not paying them the rate for a static IP...
7 > I'm using Residential SBC/Yahoo DSL and DynDNS and they don't block
8 > anything inbound. I guess since they're blocking Joe's traffic, it's
9 > sort of a hit or miss with SBC or Yahoo or AT&T or whoever it is now.
10
11 When I was on them, they blocked SMTP inbound and maybe (poor memory) 80
12 inbound. It's possible to run these services on other ports, but no
13 guarantees that they won't use Layer 5-7 filtering to limit them.
14
15 If you want to hast a reliable server, you have to get commercial-grade
16 internet access and/or SDSL. FWIW, SDSL seems to provide the upstream
17 requirements of a low-end service, and it not that expensive, *if* you can
18 produce some income/donations for the service.
21 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
22 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
23 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
24 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh