From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] I can RTFM, but can I understand it: re elog messages
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 20:22:04
1 I just got this elog from updating my gentoo system. It's from
2 freetype-2.4.2:
3 ---------------------------- begin ------------------------------
4 LOG (postinst)
5
6 The TrueType bytecode interpreter is no longer patented and thus no
7 longer controlled by the bindist USE flag. Enable the auto-hinter
8 USE flag if you want the old USE=bindist hinting behavior.
9 ----------------------------- end -------------------------------
10
11 So I looked up "auto-hinter" in the flagedit(1) program. It says:
12 > auto-hinter: Local Flag: Use the unpatented auto-hinter instead of the
13 (recommended) TrueType bytecode interpreter (media-libs/freetype)
14
15 The placement of the "(recommended)" is just a bit ambiguous. Is it
16 recommenting the unpatented auto-hinter, or making a recommendation of the
17 TrueType bytecode interpreter? I'm guessing the former, but not with
18 complete confidence.
19
20 I want clear font rendering, which I guess means using hints, and I've added
21 the auto-hinter use-flag in package.use.
22
23 I hope I guessed right.
24 --
25 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD