From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [cifs] permissions of mounted share
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:12:40
1 "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 1/11/09, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Any regular files I create on the mounted share end up 744.
5 >>
6 >> Can I set a umask in the mount syntax or what do I need to do here to
7 >> have the files keep the standard permissions?
8 >
9 > force create mode = 644
10 > force directory mode = 755
11 >
12 > Wouldn't that do it on the server so you wouldn't have to worry about
13 > the clients? Or have you already tried and it still fudges the access
14 > permissions?
15
16 I didn't know about those parameters but looking them up in man
17 smb.conf it appears it would not effect anything done by the clients.
18 Far as I understand it the servers smb.conf doesn't come into play when
19 a client mounts a share.
20
21 I've already set 644 and 755 on the existing files... by hand as
22 reported in OP.
23
24 But let me try it out before nay saying too much.
25
26 I added those params to smb.conf then restarted samba.
27
28 Went to a client... mounted a share and attempted to copy a directory
29 into the share from clients file system..
30
31 Remember now that user and group are the same for both server and
32 client on these particular files.
33
34 The change in server smb.conf appears to have changed nothing. Still
35 when I copy or create files they have 744 instead of 644 permissions.