From: Andrey Moshbear <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mkisofs: layout
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 22:50:51
1 On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 15:06, Joerg Schilling
2 <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Andrey Moshbear <andrey.vul@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 05:02, Joerg Schilling
6 >> <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
7 >> > Andrey Moshbear <andrey.vul@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >> >
9 >> >> If there a way to force mkisofs to add padding after sector N so that
10 >> >> the resultin image can be burned as a double layer with no files that
11 >> >> reside partially on one and partially on the other layer?
12 >> >
13 >> > Did you read the mkisofs man page?
14 >>
15 >> I did. The closest thing that was available was -dvd-video, but it
16 >> pads all files, not just ones around a layerbreak.
17 >> -pad only pads the end of the image.
18 >
19 > This is not correct.....
20 >
21 > Mkisofs honors the disk layout defined by the IFO file.
22
23 Does there exist an IFO system that doesn't rely on VIDEO_TS and
24 DVD-Video, i.e. a DVD-ROM analog thereof?
27 >> > Why do you believe there is a problem?
28 >> >
29 >>
30 >> Cdrecord burns DVD+-R DL in PTP mode, so it's going to be inefficient
31 >> in terms of I/O if there's a file that's halfway on
32 >> one layer and halfway on the other. Were there padding or a dummy
33 >> file, this would not be an issue.
34 >>
35 >> Hence, the asking about introducing padding around a layerbreak area.
36 >
37 > You are missunderstanding things:
38 >
39 > The track recording direction is defined by the pressed pree-groove and cannot
40 > be changed.
41 >
42 > If you are copying DVDs, you need to call cdrecord -v -atip or similar in order
43 > to retrieve the layerbreak value of the original disk. This value needs to be
44 > given with the driveropts=layerbreak=xxx option when writing DVD+R/DL.
45 >
46 > If someone can tell me how to read the layerbreak value from the IFO file, this
47 > coule be done automatically....
50 I'm not copying. I'm making a DVD DL iso from a collection of files in
51 a folder. There's no ripping from
52 silver disc in any stage of the process.