From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 10:48:16
1 On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 2:09 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, July 01, 2014 06:52:10 AM Mick wrote:
3 >>
4 >> What triggers a relocation? I also have a drive which shows a sector
5 >> relocation pending, but for a few days now and after some tests that showed
6 >> no errors, it won't relocate it.
7 >
8 > I think a write to that sector should force a relocation.
11 In theory either a write to that sector or a successful read should
12 trigger a relocation.
13
14 In practice, I've never seen a drive actually do this - maybe I just
15 manage to pick drives with braindead firmware. When I write to a
16 pending sector, the pending sector count goes down, but the relocated
17 sector count doesn't change, and usually in a few days I have another
18 pending sector.
19
20 The last time I had a drive fail I was running md raid, so a scrub
21 fixed all the pending sectors automatically, but the drive firmware
22 wasn't doing its part to relocate them. Either that, or the drive had
23 run out of spare sectors and wasn't reporting this via SMART.
24
25 Rich