From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Getting stuff off a Mac machine
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 16:57:14
1 Hi all,
2 A friend has a, I thin a few years old - Yosemite, Mac that I need to
3 get some large files off. I though Mac's could read NTFS, the files are
4 bigger than 4GB hence NTFS over FAT32, hence formatted a spare USB drive
5 as NTFS and then plugged it into the machine. No go on the copy. I tried
6 a few things then it dawned on me that the Mac probably couldn't write
7 to the disk - bummer....
8
9 A google search for things led me to the following procedure and was
10 wondering if anyone had already done this and could advise.
11
12 1) Format USB via the Mac using HFS+
13
14 2) copy files to disk
15
16 3) Enable HFS+ in the kernel of my machine and rebuild
17
18 4) Boot my machine with the new kernel
19
20 5) Plug USB into my machine and mount
21
22 6) Copy files off to my machine
23
24 7) Format the USB back to something the rest of the world can use ;)
25
26 Is that it? I can't do anything with the mac machine, NTFS-3g etc, so I
27 have to fit into the Mac world as much as possible. Have I missed
28 anything? Any tips or tricks or is there no need as it's that simple?
29
30 Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
31
32 Andrew