From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] TLD for home LAN?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 19:41:03
1 On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 12:28 PM Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > The standard does not prohibit the names being resolvable via unicast DNS as well, though it does recommend that you make sure the two resolution paths return consistent results since most systems will take the first response they get.
4
5 If a host queries DNS first, and obtains an NXDOMAIN from an
6 authoritative name server, I'm not sure most would even check mDNS. I
7 think I had that issue back when I was using .local before I heard of
8 zeroconfig.
9
10 Obviously do as you will but I see no point in not having it
11 available. After all, if for whatever reason you plug in a host and
12 it doesn't end up configuring the IP you expected, it would be useful
13 to be able to access it via hostname.local and actually reach the host
14 instead of whatever your DNS server things the host ought to be. I
15 have DNS set up for just about everything on my LAN but it is still
16 really handy when I get some new device and it broadcasts itself as
17 raspbian.local or whatever. Granted, I can just check my DHCP logs
18 but zeroconfig is handy. It even works on a switch without any
19 DHCP/DNS server at all (there is an IP space set aside for this
20 purpose which hosts will autoconfigure for and discover each other).
23 Rich