From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CUPS problem
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 13:03:06
1 On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Alan E. Davis wrote:
2
3 > Partly because I needed to print, and partly to rule out hardware
4 > issues, I booted ubuntu 7.10, and installed. No problem has been
5 > encountered over the past few days of using ubuntu. I can print, and
6 > no lockups are encountered (so far, KOW).
7
8 Clearly your Gentoo installation has some configuration issues, inc. your
9 compiled kernels. The initialisation scripts and misconfiguration of
10 services at boot/default runlevels could be another problem causing it to
11 choke.
12
13 > This is distressing. I enjoy not having to fiddle around, not
14 > spending so much time maintaining the system, and it's almost
15 > lightning quick to install packages!. Perhaps I'll use Ubuntu for a
16 > while---but I'd sure like to solve this problem. I just tried an
17 > incantation (kernel parameter) that had been recommended somewhere.
18 > (noapic nolapic acpi=off pci=noacpi), but still got the same behavior.
19 > Sometime soon I'll try to recompile the kernel or back down to
20 > 2.6.22. (I'd only compiled 2.6.23 for this new motherboard).
21
22 I suggest that you zcat your Ubuntu's .config file into your
23 Gentoo's /usr/src/linux and then run make oldconfig. That should give you
24 the same kernel configuration which you can thereafter peruse at leisure. At
25 the same time I would copy over the CUPS configuration file from Ubuntu to
26 Gentoo (but don't try that until you have proven that your new Gentoo kernel
27 is still having problems printing). You can even diff the two files to see
28 if there are any significant differences in settings.
29
30 HTH.
31 --
32 Regards,