From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Few problems
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:11:36
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:42:57 +0100
4 Pavel Kouřil <djpaulway@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > Kinfocenter shows the same.. 22,71/503,58MB RAM free, which is like a
7 > 95% in conky.
8
9 Memory consumption is not load! And it's pretty normal that Linux uses
10 up all available RAM. Substract the current cache and buffer values and
11 it's more like the classic idea of "free RAM".
12
13 System load is independent from that and is expressed in the CPU usage
14 numbers e.g. displayed by "top" (I don't use Conky, so I've got no idea
15 how it looks there). When the "idle" value stays at 0%, your machine
16 _is_ likely under heavy load :-). This would also be expressed in the
17 average load display ("top" again), which would indicate with values
18 >1.00 that in average, there's more than one process waiting for the CPU.
19
20 -hwh
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list