From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vmware fails: Virtual Machine Monitor does not start
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 22:57:52
1 On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:24:15 -0800, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I've re-emerge vmware-modules, re-run ...vmware-config.pl, and prayed.
6 >>> I still cannot do
7 >>> /etc/init.d/vmware start
8 >>> because this one part fails: Virutal machine Monitor
9 >>> and trying "vmware&" says I need to run the config script (again).
10 >>>
11 >>> I'm getting nowhere and I really do want to run that VM again.
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> Have you updated your kernel? VMware Workstation gives me problems like
15 >> this with each new kernel, which is why I'm still running 2.6.26 on my
16 >> desktop.
19 > I'm running 2.6.25-r8. I probably have updated since the last time I
20 > ran VMware.
21 > But I thought the above steps took care of that. I guess not.
22 >
23 > So what do I do now?
24
25 Oh, and I've been running vmware-server because that's what I was teaching with
26 at school. Now the school has gone to VirtualBox because it appears
27 not to have
28 the update hassles of VMware. I'll probably do the same, but I have
29 to recover a bunch
30 of data from this VMware VM first.
31
32 Server was also nice because I could create new VMs with it, which Workstation
33 would not do. VirtualBox will do that too, it seems.
34
35 I think I'll try that Workstation tarball...
36 --
37 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD