From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Open Source Family Tree software?
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 23:29:16
1 On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Arttu V. <arttuv69@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 11/29/08, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Anyone have any recommendations of something in portage. (Or not in
4 >> portage?)
5 >
6 > Wikipedia has some, they've even tried to categorize a bit and made
7 > some tables of the basic features:
8 >
9 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_genealogy_software
10 >
11 >> I found gramps in portage. I did not find Lifelines. I haven't
12 >> uncovered any other project names as yet.
13 >
14 > I set up my sister's old Ubuntu box to have gramps installed and (what
15 > I've heard) she has been using it successfully for her intermittent
16 > lightweight hobby genealogy studies of our relatives from previous
17 > centuries.
18 >
19 > I don't actually know much about these genealogy systems, so I don't
20 > know if such light-weight use is what you have in mind -- and whether
21 > gramps is a major beast or only usable for this kind of "playtoy-use".
22 >
23 > --
24 > Arttu V.
25
26 Thanks. I appreciate the responses.
27
28 For what I've seen so far gramps looks like it might be the best for a
29 really casual Linux user and it's likely my wife will start with that.
30 The sort of bigger issue is once you've got your tree put together, as
31 best you know it, then linking it up with other trees from other folks
32 you don't know is a really valuable thing to do. The commercial
33 software guys, like Family Tree Maker, have huge contributed databases
34 of family trees submitted by other FTM customers. It's sort of a
35 racket but you can subscribe to their service and then work to link
36 yourself up with other groups from your extended family if they have
37 made contributions. I'm told the problem is you don't really know if
38 there's anything in their database until you start paying but you can
39 do it for a month or two just to see how it works out. It seems that
40 gramps is doing something sort of like this but one wonders just how
41 large their database is. Also, I'd hate for my wife to do a lot of
42 work entering a few hundred people only to find she cannot use the
43 gramps data with anything but gramps.
44
45 Might be best just to pay the money and take our chance with FTM
46 longer-term but maybe she'll like playing with gramps on her Linux
47 machine. It's really up to her. I'm just her sys-admin.
48
49 Cheers,
50 Mark