From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a couple of baselayout2 problems
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:09:17
1 On Monday 30 March 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Monday 30 March 2009 13:19:26 Dale wrote:
3 > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > > His real problem isn't baselayout2 and openrc, it's named.
5 > > >
6 > > > named is notorious for crappy stupid behaviour when being stopped and
7 > > > confusing the init scripts. It happens to me so often that now I tossed
8 > > > out the init script and do it manually.
9 > > >
10 > > > One day when my country's currency is worth something I can afford ans
11 > > > then I can get rid of named and it's start-up crap forever. It's still
12 > > > the only service I ever have to use "zap" on
13 > >
14 > > I don't even know what named is but the zap option usually works for a
15 > > lost service. Sort of like a reset button. I just wonder what would
16 > > happen if it is really running when the zap option is used. Start a new
17 > > process I guess. I guess ps would be a good friend then.
18 >
19 > named is the BIND name server from the same guys as dhcpcd (and also vixie-
20 > cron). It's a *reference* *implementation* of how a name server should work
21 > (it exactly 100% behaves just like the RFCs say), but as a name server in
22 > *production* it just sucks. It's extremely popular because it's free and
23 > just because life evolved that way but in real life it's the world's worst
24 > PITA to administer.
25
26 hm, I hadn't trouble with named not stopping so far. Now apache updates...
27 that is a can of worms.