From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] simple web server with content negotiation feature
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 02:27:35
1 On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:20:10 +0100
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Saturday 26 January 2008, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
5 > > Hello all.
6 > >
7 > > I am looking for a web server for my static website in-developing
8 > > projects. I just want the basic features and easy-to-configure.
9 > > However what I mean "basic" looks a bit different than other
10 > > people's. I wish it to be able to do content negotiation (a.k.a. a
11 > > browser asks for "my_mom" and gets my_mom.html.zh or my_mom.html.en
12 > > depending on preferred language of the browser). I also wish it can
13 > > handle HTTP 1.1.
14 > >
15 > > I could not find one. "eix -S negotiation" didn't get me any result.
16 > > (on the other hand "aptitude search ~dnegotiation" did suggested me
17 > > fnord can do content negotiation, although it's only partially
18 > > implemented.)
19 > >
20 > > My question is:
21 > > 1. Can you please suggest some web server that can do
22 > > content negotiation, besides apache?
23 >
24 > "negotiation" is not a recognised USE flag:
25 >
26 > # euse -i negotiation
27 > global use flags (searching: negotiation)
28 > ************************************************************
29 > no matching entries found
30 >
31 > local use flags (searching: negotiation)
32 > ************************************************************
33 > no matching entries found
34 >
35 > therefore I am not sure that any packages in portage use it.
36
37 Dear Mick
38
39 I looked up eix manual and found '-S' asks eix to search within
40 description of the software. I noticed the description in portage is
41 usually much shorter (1 line) than in Ubuntu, which means if the
42 software has this feature, it's probably no space to write down all
43 features list in description. Perhaps there is a 'long description'
44 which I didn't discover yet. By 'eix -S negotiation" I am trying to
45 search all package description containing the word 'negotiation'
46
47 > uses the module mod_negotiation which is compiled in by default).
48 > Have you looked at www-servers/lighttpd, or www-servers/thttpd?
49
50 Thanks for the suggestions. I just had a look on their websites and
51 didn't see they support content negotiation. I think I will just use
52 apache which is big but I knew it already.
55 > > 2. Can you please tell me how do you usually find out if
56 > > some of the packages in portage can do content negotiation?
57 >
58 > Sorry, can't help with this. Perhaps others more knowledgeable in
59 > the features of different http servers can advise here. I would
60 > think that it is a matter of searching in their respective project
61 > websites and then reading their documentation for each package
62 > under /usr/portage/www-servers/. Alternative, emerge, try it out,
63 > unmerge and so on.
64
65 Thanks for your time on explaining this in detail:)
66
67 > BTW, I am not sure if some PHP scripting would offer this facility to
68 > simpler http servers, which do not support it natively like apache.
69
70 You are right PHP can do it. I wished to avoid the overhead of having
71 apache or php, but now I think I just take it.
74 Real Softservice
75
76 Huateng Tower, Unit 1788
77 Jia 302 3rd area of Jinsong, Chao Yang
78
79 Tel: +86 (10) 8773 0650 ext 603
80 Mobile: 135 9950 2413
81 http://www.realss.com