From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dumb question
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:36:45
1 On Thursday 12 October 2006 08:42, PaulNM wrote:
2 > Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
3 > > It would of course solve the issue. *Nothing* short of a kernel
4 > > upgrade requires a reboot though. And I mean that literally. So
5 > > usually not.
6 >
7 > Just being a bit pedantic here, but what about init? Even switching
8 > to runlevel 1 would leave it running. Is it possible to tell the
9 > kernel to re-run init, and how?
10
11 I don't believe so - every attempt i've ever made to kill or restart
12 init causes a kernel panic.
13
14 It's not init doing this - the same effect is achieved by booting with
15 init=/bin/bash and then exiting that bash
16
17 alan
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list