From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update to /etc/sudoers disables wheel users!!!
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 16:22:09
1 On 10/25/22 9:44 PM, Matt Connell wrote:
2 > Calm down.
3
4 I am calm.
5
6 The suggestion to not edit the (/etc/sudoeres) configuration file is one
7 of those types of things that if nobody objects to then eventually not
8 doing so will become defacto policy. So I objected, calmly, but with
9 emphasis.
10
11 > Nobody said you can't.
12
13 Yet. (See above.)
14
15 > I do.
16
17 I do too.
18
19 > Just know what you're doing and pay attention to what portage does
20 > with package-managed configuration files.
21
22 Yep.
23
24 This is a common pitfall across multiple distributions / operating
25 systems / platforms.
26
27 > dispatch-conf even gives you the opportunity to edit it before
28 > applying.
29
30 Yep.
31
32 I almost always reject the changes suggested on config files that I've
33 modified and accept them on files that I've not modified.
34
35 I really do wish that there was a better way to manage this, likely
36 involving diffs / deltas. E.g. what changed between the N distribution
37 file and the N+1 distribution file. Can that same change be safely
38 applied to the N' distribution file to create the N'+1 file?
43 Grant. . . .
44 unix || die