From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Portage, network less install and Apache, MySQL, PHP
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:20:27
1 Greetings,
2
3 I just managed to install (network less Universal CD install) Gentoo
4 on my Pentium 100 with 48MB of RAM (yeah, it was hard, but I got the
5 fastest system this poor hardware ever had), its working fine with
6 minimal on everything, but as I have limited network access (proxy), I
7 can't update, neither the usual emerge --sync nor emerge-webrsync
8 works, the RSYNC is blocked for sure, and I suppose webrsync is trying
9 to download something (all downloads are filtered, except for some
10 extensions, but tar.bz2 and tar.gz are filtered).
11
12 I scheduled the download of the last portage tree (snapshot) and MySQL
13 and Apache latest versions and its dependencies, but I'm pretty sure I
14 won't be able to install them, because when calculating dependencies,
15 emerge fails (too old for the latest versions, and they're masked).
16
17 So, I ask:
18
19 1) If I get the latest snapshot, will it be like an "emerge --sync"?
20 2) If I download all packages and dependencies, will I be able to
21 install the masked version after pretending the "sync" with the
22 snapshot?
23 3) Has anyone tried this?
24
25 If I manage to install it, I'll get like 4 new servers using
26 replication with hardware that would be trash nowadays (that's good
27 for business).
28
29 Thanks for all answers,
32 Daniel da Veiga