From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : CPU : 22 nm vs 32 nm
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 12:11:21
1 On Jul 28, 2012 8:03 AM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 8:30 PM, microcai <microcai@×××××××××××××.org>
4 wrote:
5
6 --- >8 Major Snippage
7
8 > > As far as I can tell, AMD chip suffered with a lot of I/O. Their
9 > > Hyper-transport seems not competitive with Intel's ring bus
12 Wasn't Intel's answer to HyperTransport is the QuickPath bus? IIRC, the
13 ring bus is internal to a processor. (I could be wrong, though).
14
15 > (please don't top-post, especially if the thread's already been
16 > primarily organized as bottom-post)
17 >
18 > I hadn't read that, but remember that HyperTransport is intended for a
19 > mesh architecture. In single-CPU systems, you'll only have one HT
20 > link, the link between your CPU and your north bridge. In multi-CPU
21 > systems, you'll have additional links between the CPUs. In systems
22 > with many CPUs, you may even have a fully-connected mesh.
23 >
24 > The I/O characteristics will greatly depend on the topology of your
25 network.
26 >
27 > That said, HyperTransport may just be getting old; when it came out,
28 > it (and AMD's crossbar switch for memory management) beat the pants
29 > off of Intel's SMP solution. Intel's solution ran at lower and lower
30 > clock rates the more CPUs you added, and their first pass at multicore
31 > gave each core its own port onto the memory bus, with predictably poor
32 > results. Intel's had plenty of time to catch up, but with their
33 > price-per-part, it's taken me a long time to pay much attention.
36 Again, I might be mistaken, but IIRC HyperTransport's throughput depends on
37 how many channels are provided, so there's no theoretical limitation to its
38 throughput, just practical considerations. (E.g., tracing issues).
39
40 > (It also doesn't help that Jon "Hannibal" Stokes stopped writing
41 > detailed technical articles for Ars Technica; I sincerely miss him and
42 > the precision and clarity of his writing on such arcane subjects.)
45 That makes the two of us bro... BTW, my handle there's "pepoluan", just in
46 case you see it in the forums.
47
48 Rgds,