From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] X11 recovery ... somehow
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 12:46:13
1 Hi,
2
3 I am running X11 with Nvidia-drivers 396.18-r1.
4
5 From time to time I accidentally hit a key combo
6 (ALT F*) and I am thrown to the LINUX console.
7
8 Back in the years when one setups X11 by hand
9 carefully inserting timings for the Cathod Ray Tube
10 it was possible to swicth back with CTRL-ALT-F12
11 (or was it ALT-F12).
12
13 But this does not work for me.
14
15 1) For debugging purposes I would like to
16 get a fully working switch between the
17 Linux console and X11 back and forth.
18 2) If that is not possible see below.
19
20 But!
21 If I was accidentally thrown to the Linux console
22 by my own eloborated usage of the keyboard (hrrrrmmmm)
23 I am able to do the following:
24
25 Login as myself (console login) and do another
26 startx.
27 This will start a new X11 session.
28
29 Is it possible somehow to "take over" the original
30 X11 session, which is still running in the background
31 to cleanly ending the tasks running and waiting for
32 my input?
33
34 Thanks a lot in advance for any help!
35
36 Cheers
37 Meino