From: ellotheth rimmwen <ellotheth@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cpu flags / USE flags / compiler flags
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 06:15:37
1 Hm. Clear, brief, instructive. Smells a lot like a mini-HOWTO.
2
3 On 9/3/05, waltdnes@××××××××.org <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4
5 > There are CPU flags and there are USE flags. Some of them have the
6 > same names, and that may confuse you. It works like this...
7 > 1) Get a listing of your cpu's flags in /proc/cpuinfo
8 > 2) Check against the list of supported flags in gcc for you cpu, and
9 > add them to CFLAGS
10 > 3) Check http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml for a list of valid
11 > USE flags, and include any that show up in /proc/cpuinfo
12 > 4) Repeat step 3) with /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc for any
13 > programs you're emerging. There doesn't seem to be anything
14 > special on your pentium4, but my AMD64 not only has mmx and 3dnow,
15 > it also has mmxext and 3dnowext. mplayer can take advantage of
16 > them. I include them in the /etc/portage/package.use entry for
17 > media-video/mplayer.
18 >
19 > I'll assume that you're using gcc 3.3.5. In that case, the place to
20 > look for CPU flag options is...
21 >
22 > http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3.5/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html#i386-and-x86_002d64-Options
23 >
24 > That list shows pentium4, mmx, sse, and sse2. Also, if you have *ANY*
25 > version of sse available, you can improve performance by running floating
26 > point math via sse, rather than 387 instructions. I recommend...
27 >
28 > CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -march=pentium4 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse"
29 >
30 > http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml shows mmx and sse as valid USE
31 > flags, so you can include them in USE.
32 >
33 > --
34 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
35 > My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca