From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happened to OpenRC 0.9.6?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 23:26:34
1 On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 08:28:42PM +0100, Andrea Conti wrote
2
3 > It had a "little" problem in resolving the dependencies of a newly
4 > introduced boot service that created a cycle and caused the boot process
5 > to hang (almost) forever with rc_parallel=YES.
6 >
7 > With 100% repeatability, mind you, which does raise same questions on
8 > the amount of testing done before release. Yes, it's ~arch and
9 > rc_parallel is explicitly marked "experimental", but it's not expected
10 > to be completely and consistently broken, either.
11 >
12 > If that sounds like I'm ranting, it's because I just spent about an hour
13 > getting three machines affected by this problem back into working state.
14
15 waltdnes@d531 ~ $ head /etc/rc.conf
16 # Global OpenRC configuration settings
17
18 # Set to "YES" if you want the rc system to try and start services
19 # in parallel for a slight speed improvement. When running in parallel we
20 # prefix the service output with its name as the output will get
21 # jumbled up.
22 # WARNING: whilst we have improved parallel, it can still potentially lock
23 # the boot process. Don't file bugs about this unless you can supply
24 # patches that fix it without breaking other things!
25 #rc_parallel="NO"
26
27 This alone would is enough to deter me from running it. The potential
28 problems aren't worth it for a few seconds faster bootup. It appears
29 that even the developers don't dare to run it on their machines... nuff
30 said.
33 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>