From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing libaries
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 13:40:57
1 On Friday 25 May 2007, Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] Changing libaries':
3 > Another user had some trouble because Kaffeine couldn't play .ogg-files.
4 > In the end we found out that he activated the necessary USE-flag and
5 > re-emerged xine-lib but Kaffeine kept using the old lib which was still
6 > in RAM, I presume.
7 >
8 > Naturally, the problem was solved when he rebooted but I wonder how I
9 > could achieve the effect without rebooting.
10
11 For most applications you simply have to restart the application. Next
12 time the process starts perform dynamic linking, which accesses the
13 filesystem and picks up the new library.
14
15 KDE applications started under the standard KDE environment have dynamic
16 linking done for them by kdeinit though, so shared libraries stay loaded
17 (but possibly swapped out) persist for as long as the kdeinit process
18 lives. So, you'll have to restart the kdeinit process, this usually
19 involves logging out and logging back in, although kdm might (I don't
20 think so, but might) require you to restart X.
21
22 Alternatively, you might be able to get around this by prelinking, or at
23 least telling KDE that things are prelinked (even if they aren't) I
24 believe kdeinit drops this behavior if KDE_IS_PRELINKED=1 or
25 KDE_IS_PRELINKED=true is in the environment when kdeinit starts.
26
27 You can NOT simply kill the kdeinit process unless you want KDE
28 applications started by it to start "mysteriously" dying.
31 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
32 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
33 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
34 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/