From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:21:38
1 On Wednesday 15 December 2010 12:24:58 Dale wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
4 > >
5 > > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > >> On Wednesday 15 December 2010 05:54:40 Dale wrote:
7 > >>> According to the mobo manual, if I enable AHCI, it is hot swappable.
8 > >>
9 > >> and enabling AHCI is the only sane option. So do it.
10 > >>
11 > >>> I
12 > >>> just ain't to comfy doing it. I'd like to see it done with no smoke
13 > >>> getting out first.
14 > >>
15 > >> no smoke. Worst case: controller hangs, you have to reboot.
16 > >
17 > > The worst case is _slightly_ worse than that, but certainly no smoke.
18 > > Some systems (my 6 drive RAID compute server for instance) changes
19 > > drive mapping between AHCI and compatibility modes so I had to adjust
20 > > /etc/fstab. If Dale is using labels of some type he will likely be
21 > > better off than I was.
22 > >
23 > > There certainly won't be any harm caused by changing the BIOS setting
24 > > to AHCI and trying it out. Reboot and change BIOS back is all he would
25 > > have to do in my experience.
26 > >
27 > > - Mark
28 >
29 > Are the drives any faster when using AHCI tho? If the speed is the same
30 > then I may try it next time I reboot but not real sure why it would
31 > matter. I was hoping for something even faster.
32
33 ahci is robust, in case of an error you don't have to wait for the 30-ide-
34 timeout. NCQ can speed up some stuff. AHCI is just the right thing to do.