From: Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: remove gnome/systemd
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 07:30:00
1 On Tue, 2017-09-12 at 21:22 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 12/09/17 18:55, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
3 > > After several months of Gnome3 I decided it is too heavy for my old
4 > > workstation and would like to go back to LXDE. The flow could be:
5 > >
6 > > 1. rebuild kernel with openRC support and install
7 > > 2. emerge -C gnome networkmanager
8 > > 3. emerge -C systemd
9 > > 4. change profile to generic desktop (non-Gnome)
10 > > 5. emerge -N lxde-meta
11 > > 6. emerge -N xdm openrc anacron sysklogd sysvinit
12 > > 7. reboot
13 > >
14 > > I doubt it will be this easy... anything I'm missing, suggestions?
15 >
16 > You can just keep systemd and only remove Gnome. Switch to another,
17 > non-Gnome systemd profile and unmerge Gnome, then do a --depclean.
18 > Also
19 > look in your world file to see if you have anything in there that
20 > prevents depclean from removing it.
21
22 Thanks, I'm not against systemd, it's just that I'm more familiar with
23 OpenRC. I installed systemd only to avoid the hassle of a gnome-
24 without-systemd and in these few months I've had no complaints about
25 it.
26
27 After much reading I concluded that an init system is just that, after
28 startup you generally have little interaction with it so one stable
29 system is practically equivalent to another one.
30 That is, if you don't care about the technical/philosophical issues
31 behind one choice or the other...
32
33 raffaele