From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filesystem recommendation for external media storage
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:24:44
1 On 26/06/2013 15:09, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Hi list
3 >
4 > By chance I found an external 3 TB disk for a bargain and now I’m planning its
5 > partitioning. I am thus looking for a filesystem that doesn’t necessarily
6 > need file permissions to function, the reason being that I might want to take
7 > the disk to other people in order to copy files around. That’s why I don’t
8 > really want to use ext4 (my FS of choice for everything else).
9 >
10 > My current media HDD (1 TB) runs on FAT32. But this is not up-to-date anymore
11 > due to the 4 GiB filesize limitation. NTFS is also not a good option (for me
12 > anyway), because whenever I copy a file to it, ntfs-3g sets its mtime to
13 > now(). This makes it impossible to do automated syncing. Also, it loads the
14 > CPU pretty heavily when being written to.
15 >
16 > Windows compatibility is not a must, but a nice-to-have. That would reduce my
17 > remaining choices to ExFAT, I presume.
20 That's how I see it too.
21
22 I used to use ext4 for external media but quickly found that my notebook
23 was the only box that could use them...
24
25 exfat ticks more boxes than any other option
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com