From: Holla <holla.net@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Touble with linux-headers
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:35:25
1 On 4/30/07, Hemmann, Volker Armin <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > On Montag, 30. April 2007, Holla wrote:
3 > > Hello,
4 > >
5 > > I would like to install my own version of the kernel (2.6.18.3)
6 > > which i have compiled and installed. This is working fine.
7 > >
8 > > But when I try to do 'emerge system', portage is
9 > > trying to emerge linux-headers also. How can I prevent
10 > > it ?
11 >
12 > why? Why do you want to prevent it?
15 OK, I get it now. I was under the (wrong) impression that
16 the kernel headers should match the kernel installed.
17 So, if portage is trying to install linux-headers-2.6.17
18 it is because that is the stable headers for 2.6, right ?
19
20 I even went to the extent of doing a
21 make headers_check
22 export INSTALL_HDR_PATH=/usr
23 make headers_install
24
25 in the kernel build directory.
26
27 I see this is stupid now..
28
29 Thanks
30 sathish
31
32 > You know, that the in-kernel headers should not be used?
35 > > Also , when using a homebrew source, how do I install
36 > > the linux-headers in /usr/include ? just copy the directory
37 > > from the kerenl source, or symlink it ?
38 >
39 > You don't. Really. The kernel headers which come with the source tarball are
40 > not a good choice for userspace. Don't do it, you don't have a compelling
41 > reason. And if you have a very good reason for the in-kernel headers (like
42 > app X needs them), it is a bug.
43 >
44 > --
45 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list