From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT crypto] How to encrypt a directory without root?
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 20:10:48
1 On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 04:09:03PM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > For example, if I wanted a forgotten password laying in a text file
4 > but encfs encrypted and on the remote. When for one or another reason
5 > I cannot get it from the home machine.
6
7 I hate saying something when I don't know the full circumstances, but
8 here is how I do mine, and how I have recovered data from the backup.
9 I mount the plaintext with this command (actual details have been
10 changed because I do it in a shell script which does other things):
11
12 encfs ~/.encrypted ~/.plaintext
13
14 ~/.encrypted is the encrypted dir, ~/.plaintest is what I lok at when
15 I want to see the plaintext. I have various symlinks elsewhere which
16 point into ~/.plaintext.
17
18 When I backup this data, I only backup ~/.encrypted. In fact, since
19 backup is done as a part of root's nightly backup, and root cannot
20 look into ~/.plaintext, ~/.encrypted is all that can be backupped (did
21 I just invent a new verb? :-).
22
23 Now once I lost a file which I knew existed in the backup. All I had
24 to do was
25
26 1. As root, mount the backup, in this case as /mnt/backup.
27
28 2. As myself, mount as usual but change the names:
29
30 encfs /mnt/backup/home/felix/.encrypted ~/tmp/plaintext
31
32 3. Copy the file as plaintext:
33
34 cp -p ~/tmp/plaintext/path/to/file ~/.plaintext/path/to/file
35
36 Of course, if you backup as yourself, the root step is easily adjusted
37 to yourself.
38
39 It's been so long since I set this up that I do not remember the
40 details. There's a kernel module, maybe dm-crypt. You probably have
41 to enable something in the kernel config. But once done, it's easy as
42 pi and just as tasty, and I really like the fact that root cannot get
43 access to the plaintext. For some reason, that just tinkles me pink.
47 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
48 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
49 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o