From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [nfs] nfs mount settings
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 07:56:04
1 Am Montag 27 Juli 2009 03:18:34 schrieb Harry Putnam:
2 > I'm not that familiar with nfs usage ... only used lightly a few
3 > times.
4 >
5 > I have an opensolaris nfs server serving a share to my gentoo box.
6 >
7 > The mount point is set as owner:group of my user (reader).
8 >
9 > Also has the set-gid bit set.
10 >
11 > ls -ld /projects
12 > drwxr-sr-x 2 reader wheel 48 Jun 24 07:08 /projects
13
14 BTW: The permissions of the mount point don't matter since they can be
15 different after the directory has been mounted. So I guess the set-gid only
16 needs to be set on the exported directory. In fact, I would set the
17 permissions of the mount point so that it's only writable by root so that
18 ordinary users can't write to it while it's unmounted (a later mount would
19 make those files invisible for as long as the directory is mounted).
20
21 And finally: Using the kernel automounter (autofs) avoids
22 1) the need for the users option
23 2) users forgetting to mount the thing
24
25 Bye...
26
27 Dirk