From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Scary Paritioning - Need Help
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 08:47:07
1 · Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>:
2
3 > On 10/20/06, Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
4 >> On Friday 20 October 2006 07:47, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
5 >> > The main issue is that ext3 doesn't support resizing. You need to
6 >> > create a new filesystem in order to get a different size.
7 >> > Furthermore, partitions are addressed from the beginning, which means
8 >> > that moving the beginning will completely change everything.
9 >>
10 >> Um, not true. Ext3 does support resizing and can even increase the size
11 >> online without umounting the filesystem. To be fair, ext2online is not
12 >> declared fully completely 100% stable, but I've never seen or heard any
13 >> problems with it. And I use it often...
14 >
15 > Yah, you resize ext3 with the ext2resize command.
16
17 Yes.
18
19 > I'm just scared to
20 > use it because I don't know how.
21
22 Read the man page. The easiest usage (and I assume most common) is:
23
24 ext2resize $fs
25
26 BTW: One of the most valuable tips already given in this thread
27 was to use EVMS or LVM. With EVMS or LVM, you just don't have
28 problems like this.
29
30 Alexander Skwar
31 --
32 P.S. Perl's master plan (or what passes for one) is to take over the
33 world like English did. Er, *as* English did...
34 -- Larry Wall in <199705201832.LAA28393@××××.org>
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list