From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD RX GPU in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 17:29:39
On 6/11/19 7:56 AM, Emmanuel Vasilakis wrote:
> Hi! > > I'm running a pretty old PC. A Core2Duo E8400 and a GT730 nvidia card. > > Now, this is ok for what I need: work (emacs and bunch of terminals) and > some little Kerbal Space Program. > > I'm thinking of upgrading some time in the next months to a 3600 AMD > Ryzen when they are available, but in the mean time, I was also thinking > about changing to an AMD gpu too. > > The nvidia driver although ok, is giving me some trouble mostly when > suspending to ram. Sometimes it wont work, and the culprit from dmesg is > likely the nvidia blob. > > So, assuming I would get an RX550/560 card, how well do the amdgpu > drivers (open source) work? Are they ok for steam games? Do they provide > KMS (switching to a Ctrl+Alt+F1 is always garbled now). ? Are they > completely tear free? > > Plus, my current GT730 is passively cooled. Are there any RX cards that > at least spin down the fans when I'm working on desktop (no > plasma/gnome, simple Openbox with no heavy gpu requirements). I really > like silence! :-) > > Thanks, > Emmanuel >
I am currently setting up a new computer for a friend's parents. It's a 2400G with the Vega graphics. I installed gentoo to stress test the system (compiling mostly, did system and a full KDE desktop) and have had no problems but I haven't tried games. HDMI out works, VGA out works, HDMI audio works. I just had to get a kernel > 4.15 (I think it's 4.18.x right now) and select the amdgpu options. It seems that the default profile installs amdgpu for X automatically, didn't even have to do anything there. I did check X and it is using the amdgpu drivers. I streamed 1080 video from youtube for a couple of hours and I didn't notice any glitches. amdgpu requires modesetting, if you do a 'nomodeset' option all you get is a black screen. Now, I haven't tried them with the RX cards, but for the Vega graphics they are OK. Dan