From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] MATE is great!
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:35:36
1 If you love gnome2 you'll be thrilled when you install the gentoo 'mate'
2 overlay. It's like coming home for the holidays and putting on your old
3 fuzzy slippers :)
4
5 I had to work around two minor problems before the whole package would
6 build:
7
8 1) I had to remove the pulseaudio useflag for mate-setting-daemon:
9
10 #grep mate /etc/portage/package.use
11 mate-base/mate-settings-daemon -pulseaudio
12
13 2) The mate package doesn't know about our multi-slot python thing,
14 so the configure script couldn't find <Python.h>
15
16 This is an embarrassing hack, but you can remove it after installing
17 mate:
18
19 #cd /usr/include
20 #ln -s python2.7 python [or python3.3 if that's what you use].
21
22 I'd suggest removing that symlink after mate is installed because
23 gentoo doesn't do python that way and might get confused in the
24 future.
25
26 I use startx, so I just put 'exec mate-session' in my .xinitrc,
27 and now I'm sooooo happy :) :) :)