From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Headless question": Harvesting the results...software needed.
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 17:50:16
1 J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> [14-09-30 19:40]:
2 > On 30 September 2014 16:12:31 CEST, Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > >On 09/30/2014 10:05 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > >> Suppose the GPS would already be attached
6 > >> to the board and works...
7 > >>
8 > >> Is there any free available software and data for
9 > >> strict offline useage (which does NOT calls
10 > >> to home), which is able to map GPS data to a street/land
11 > >> map?
12 > >> I need both: The maps themselves and the logic to read
13 > >> GPS coordinates and map movements and ways to those maps.
14 > >>
15 > >> Is something like that available for free or should
16 > >> I directly ask the NSA/CIA/FBI/...?
17 > >>
18 > >> Thank you very much in advance for any help!
19 > >> Best regards,
20 > >> mcc
21 > >>
22 > >The only project I know of that has openly available map data is
23 > >OpenStreetMap (openstreetmap.org). I know they have an API, and they
24 > >probably (not sure) have maps available for download.
25 > >
26 > >afaik the only way to combine various map data out of the box is to use
27 > >a GIS package like QGIS. You can write software to do this using the
28 > >proj4 library for an embedded box, not sure if anything for your
29 > >specific use case already exists and is open source.
30 > >
31 > >Alec
32 >
33 > Openstreetmap is a good bet.
34 >
35 > You might also have some luck if you look into PostGIS.
36 > It is an extension to postgresql, which might be overkill, but you might be able to use that in yiur Google searches.
37 >
38 > If borders would be nice and straight, it would be easy. Unfortunately they are not.
39 >
40 > --
41 > Joost
42 > --
43 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
46 ...its a damn long way...of waiting, though...;)
47
48 I am currently downloading the data (Only Europe)...this will be a
49 journey of two days uninterrupted waiting.
50
51 And -- if murphy will be good to me -- only one file (there are two of
52 them) is the wrong one and has to replaced by another 20GByte file
53 lateron.
54
55 Will see....
58 ;)