From: Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Porblems with nvidia-settings vs. nvidia-drivers: Up-/downgrade race condition
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 13:34:19
1 Am 17.10.2015 um 13:07 schrieb Meino.Cramer@×××.de:
2
3 > previously I had emerged nvidia-settings seperately. This leads to an
4 > problem with a recent update, because the nvidia-settings were
5 > pulling in the old version of the nvidia-drivers and the update wants
6 > the new version of the drivers.
7 >
8 > So I emerge -C'ed the nvidia-settings, set the USE-flag 'tools' for
9 > the drivers and updated...it works.
10 >
11 > This morning ... updateing my Gentoo box again, the same scenario
12 > happens again...nvidia-settings (old version) were missing (why?)
13 > and again wants the old driver while emerge wants the new one.
14 >
15 > How can I get out of this?
16
17 Do you have xfce-extra/xfce4-sensors-plugin with
18 USE="video_cards_nvidia" resp. VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" installed?
19
20 Because this pulls in media-video/nvidia-settings.
21
22 My guess is that media-video/nvidia-settings is now included in
23 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers and is therefore not needed anymore as a
24 separate package.
25
26 As a workaround, because I hadn't had time to file a bug report when I
27 discovered this, I just reinstalled xfce-extra/xfce4-sensors-plugin with
28 USE="-video_cards_nvidia".
29
30 There are some other packages which pull in media-video/nvidia-settings
31 if VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" is set. So if you don't use Xfce it's probably
32 one of those packages.
33
34 Just run `equery depends nvidia-settings` or `emerge -pv --tree ...` to
35 see by which package it gets pulled in.