From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ZFS
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:29:42
1 >> You should definitely determine the right value for ashift on pool
2 >> creation
3 >> (it controls the alignment on the medium). It's an option that you afaik
4 >> can only set
5 >> on filesystem creation and therefore needs a restart from scratch if you
6 >> get it
7 >> wrong.
8 >> According to the illumos wiki it's possible to run a mixed pool (if you
9 >> have
10 >> drives requiring different alignments[1])
11 >> If in doubt: ask ryao (iirc given the right information he can tell you
12 >> which
13 >> are the right options for you if you can't deduce it yourself).
14 >> Choosing the wrong alignment can cause severe performance loss (that's not
15 >> a ZFS issue but happened when 4k sector drives appeared and tools like
16 >> fdisk
17 >> weren't aware of this).
18 >
19 > Yikes...
20 >
21 > Ok, shouldn't there be a tool or tools to help with this? Ie, boot up on a
22 > bootable tools disk on the system with all drives connected, then let it
23 > 'analyze' your system, maybe ask you some questions (ie, how you will be
24 > configuring the drives/RAID, etc), then spit out an optimized config for
25 > you?
26
27 I'm also interested to know the procedure for getting this right.
28
29 > It is starting to sound like you need to be a dang engineer just to use
30 > ZFS...
31
32 I thought the SSD issue was completely separate from ZFS and
33 applicable to any other filesystem as well. Someone please correct me
34 if I'm wrong.
35
36 - Grant