From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 18:24:49
1 On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 11:13:39 -0600 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > > It simply doesn't matter if systemd boils down to one monolithic binary, or
3 > > 600, if they are tied together in such a way that they can not
4 > > *individually* be replaced *easily and simply* (ie, without having to
5 > > rewrite the whole of systemd).
6 >
7 > You are setting a group of conditions that preemptively wants to stop
8 > adoption of anything that is tightly integrated. That is a losing
9 > strategy (different projects actually *want* tight integration), and
10 > besides the burden of work should not fall on the people wanting to
11 > use a tightly integrated stack.
12 >
13 > You want individual modules that are "easily and simply" replaced?
14 > Then WROTE THEM. Don't expect the systemd authors (or any other) to do
15 > it for you.
16
17 And here we have a small problem: for modules to be replaceable the
18 core system should be designed to support replaceable modules, but
19 systemd is not. The whole deep integration approach and lack of
20 inter-module boundaries doesn't allow one to write replaceable blocks
21 without crazy hacking.
22
23 Just imagine that one have PCI-E bus and this bug is being replaced
24 with some other PC-systemd bus, where one have to interface each
25 component differently. And if one removes e.g. audio card some other
26 seemingly independent component e.g. network controller becomes
27 broken. That is the nature of systemd and that is many people dislike
28 this technology.
29
30 > > That said, it seems to me that, for now at least, it isn't that big a deal
31 > > to switch back and forth between systemd and, for example, OpenRC.
32 >
33 > It depends; right now you can't switch back and forth between OpenRC
34 > and systemd without reemerging some stuff. Some of those packages
35 > *could* be made to switch functionality at run time instead of compile
36 > time, but SOMEONE has to write that support, and it's probably that
37 > the upstream for the package will not accept those changes, since for
38 > binary distributions it makes no sense to have the complexity on the
39 > code of switching behavior at runtime when doing at compile time is
40 > easier and the distribution generates one binary per architecture for
41 > all its users.
42
43 The most sane and fair solution was already proposed: create a
44 systemd profile for those who need it. I personally highly dislike
45 systemd technology, but I respect the right of other to shoot them in
46 the leg (or head) as much as they want to. This is Gentoo: a universal
47 constructor providing people means to build any system in any shape
48 they need.
49
50 Unfortunately chances are that in future some software may become
51 unusable or unsupported outside of systemd profile. But patches may
52 be created and other profiles will continue to live the same way
53 hardened exists now and will continue to exist later.
54
55 BTW it was shown at the recent LVEE Winter 2014 conference that GDM
56 can be easily freed from systemd and OpenBSD guys have an interesting
57 idea for faking systemd presence for applications requesting one
58 mandatory. Though IMO any end-user application strictly dependable on
59 any init system is broken by design: for a daemon there should be no
60 difference by which tool it was started.
61
62 > > In fact, it seems to me that, since (from what I've read) the primary reason
63 > > that systemd was written in the first place was to provide extremely fast
64 > > boots *in virtualized environments*,
65 >
66 > You are wrong; systemd was created because Upstart had the silly CLA
67 > from Canonical[1], and because its authors wanted a novel init system
68 > for Linux (and Linux only) that used all the cool technologies the
69 > kernel provides, and that it could solve problems like: how to easily
70 > and consistently start daemons with well defined semantics for its
71 > dependencies; how to easily and consistently apply resource quotas to
72 > them; how to deal with modern computers where hardware comes and goes
73 > (including CPUs) all the time, etc. [2].
74
75 Excuse me please, but what you wrote above is very naive. All that
76 reasons are just an excuse. The real reason is money: systemd is a Red
77 Hat project (despite being formally open for everyone) and is their
78 tool^Wweapon to fight with Canonical for a sales market. It the last
79 years RH was pushed near even in a server market and now they are
80 fighting back. They were lucky enough to acquire Poettiring guy and
81 create from a simple and sound sysvinit (which is an important but
82 not dictating peace of software) a key component where they can
83 dictate their own line, where they can lead all Linux community in
84 a way they need.
85
86 That the real reason I despise systemd: in replaces the freedom of
87 choice by a dictatorship of a small bunch of managers of a single
88 corporation (yes, managers, not developers). And all this is under the
89 veil of GPL and technical merits. This is the poison in the well of
90 FOSS.
91
92 Best regards,
93 Andrew Savchenko