From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] external usb hard drive problem
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:33:37
1 On 1/12/06, Stefan Riha <stefanriha@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > Yesterday I bought an external hard drive (lacie, 250 GB, usb 2.0).
5 > I did
6 > >fdisk /dev/sda1
7 > and created a single primary partition.
8 > this creates /dev/sda1p1 or something like that.
9 > (could my problem have to do with the fact that I didn't do
10 > >fdisk /dev/sda
11 > instead? I mean, without the 1 at the end of the line?)
12
13 Normally, yes, you would want "fdisk /dev/sda". What you did is
14 partition a partition...
15
16 But if you are only going to use a single partition, you actually
17 don't need to partition it at all. You can simply:
18
19 # be really damn careful to type this correctly!!
20 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
21 printf "w\n" | fdisk /dev/sda
22 mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda
23 mount /dev/sda /mnt/external
24
25 > and it worked.
26 > Now the problem is that when I copy data from my computers hard drive to
27 > the external drive, the process often hangs up. In KDE's copy process
28 > window appears "stalled".
29
30 There are some cases when this is normal (like if the drive is working
31 at USB1.1 speeds, writing at 1M/sec. With a lot of ram (like 500M?,
32 then the copy can stall for 7-8 minutes at a time as the buffers get
33 flushed to disk). You could also get this if you use the old/slow USB
34 driver.
35
36 We need some more details of your kernel configuration. Are you using
37 the ehci and usb-storage drivers? Can you post the dmesg output from
38 when you turn on the drive?
41 > The real big problem is that I cannot remount the ehd again.
42 > When I do
43 > >mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/external
44 > there is no error message, but the process is never terminated.
45 > The cursor jumps to the next line and nothing happens,
46 > except that the green light on the ehd starts burning.
47 > Seems like the Filesystem is destroyed?
48
49 Could be the journal trying to fix the filesystem...and again, taking
50 forever to do it.
51
52 > Did I use the right format (ext3)?
53 > What's the command for formating in xfs?
54
55 The filesystem type isn't important. ext3 is fine.
56
57 > I use genkernel 2.4 (and don't want to upgrade), is that part of the problem?
58
59 lspci and dmesg output please.
60
61 -Richard