From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My Continuing ALSA Woes
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:53:27
1 On 10/22/05, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 08:12 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On 10/22/05, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > There is no /etc/asound.state to remove. There never was. I haven't
6 > > > been able to generate one since I've had this computer.
7 > >
8 > > Yeah, with alsamixer not working for you there isn't a way to get it configured.
9 > >
10 > > What happens if you just run aplay?
11 > >
12 > > slocate *.wav and pick one, then aplaye somefile.wav
13 > >
14 > > I wonder if the card is truly muted at this point?
15 >
16 > camille sounds # aplay KDE_Desktop5.wav
17 > Playing WAVE 'KDE_Desktop5.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate
18 > 22050 Hz, Mono
19 >
20 > I turned my speakers all the way up before I issued the command, but no
21 > sound came out. Just the usual tiny bit of static I hear when I turn
22 > the speaker up all the way.
23 >
24 > Also, when I log into GNOME I get this stupid error message box saying
25 > that no volume control was available or something like that. Holly
26 > Bostick said something about GNOME's included sound server might be
27 > interfering with ALSA. Is there a way I can check for that, and if I
28 > find it, turn it off so it's not interfering?
29
30 ps aux and look for sound stuff. I think it's called esound or esd.
31 Something like that. You can kill it or probably stop it nicely using
32 Gnome's configuration utilities.
35 > > On other thing. Your card is rev. 3
36 > >
37 > > Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition
38 > > Audio Controller (rev 03)
39 > >
40 > > Richard's card is rev 4:
41 > >
42 > > Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition
43 > > Audio Controller (rev 04)
44 > >
45 > > Possibly the Alsa developers haven't seen your revision and hence
46 > > somethign is a bit different? That sort of thing could easily cause a
47 > > problem if the differences are very significant. I think Richard said
48 > > his was in a laptop. I have been assumign yours is in a desktop. This
49 > > means (probably) that you are using different chipsets.
50 >
51 > Yes, mine is a desktop.
52
53 It's a new card and support is probably touchy. I will not tell you
54 (right now) how long I had to wait to get support for my HDSP 9652 as
55 you might draw conclusions that would make you cry, and I don't think
56 it will happen to you. ;-) Maybe after you get yours working. ;-)
57
58 Cheers,
59 Mark
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list